SEO Analyst Job Description, Skills & Salary
Are you searching for an SEO Analyst job description? Get to know about the duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and skills requirements of an SEO Analyst. Feel free to use our SEO Analyst job description template to produce your own SEO Analyst job description. We also provide you with information about the salary you can earn as an SEO Analyst.
Who is an SEO Analyst?
An SEO Analyst is an expert or professional who employs his analytical skills and diverse tools to analyze data from numerous sources. They brainstorm diverse concepts that can enhance or build a website ranking and execute it with the help of various tools. Their sole responsibility is to increase foot traffic to the client’s website. SEO analyst performs keyword research, monitor website strategy, and comes up with diverse strategies to improve a website that will guarantee the best user experience. SEO Analyst brings a lot of foot traffic to the website thereby enhancing the profit of the website via customers buying products on a website or also encouraging advertisers on the site. They can work for a personal website, agency, or client. Currently, SEO is one of the best professions in the IT industry as a result of the fact that most competitors are aware of the relevance of search engines to compete in their niches. They are primarily investing in online marketing and approaching SEO analysts to enhance their web traffic. SEO analysts and other professionals in the field have tremendous prospects for growth.
What is SEO?
SEO simply means Search Engine Optimization which is the process of enhancing both quality and quantity by generating traffic to the website through organic traffic. This implies that SEO can help increase the number of people that are looking for a website via a manual search on the internet better than paid advertising.
SEO analysts have a perfect comprehension of what the audience is searching for and also how to meet up with these demands via their analytical and SEO skills. They bring about search engine website optimization by analyzing, planning, and researching diverse strategies.
SEO Analyst Job Description
What is an SEO Analyst job description? An SEO Analyst job description is simply a list of duties and responsibilities of an SEO Analyst in an organization. Below are the SEO Analyst job description examples you can use to develop your resume or write an SEO Analyst job description for your employee. Employers can also use it to sieve out job seekers when choosing candidates for interviews.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of an SEO Analyst?
- Conducting keyword research using software such as Maz to optimize web content
- Tracking metrics such as organic traffic, conversion rates, and time spent on the page using outlets such as Google Analytics
- Monitoring and reporting on search trends and SEO achievement
- Analyzing websites and social media pages to make recommendations for developments
- Conducting competitor analysis to identify content gaps and areas for improvement in website design
- Staying up to date with new SEO, social media, and digital marketing industry trends, practices, and tools that are frequently altering
- Using Excel spreadsheet to assemble reports
- Executing link-building strategies
- Marketing suggestions for SEO-friendly content creation
- Delivering keyword insights and SEO advice for other teams within the organization
- Optimizing webpages for mobile device
- Monitoring online forums and blogs related to the industry to recognize new trends in content or usage of certain keywords
- Reporting any problems with website functionality to web developers or design for remediation
- Establishing an SEO plan based on current ranking, keywords, traffic sources, competitor analysis, and other factors to help improve ranking over time
- Overseeing paid search campaigns
- Keeping up to date with recent trends and best SEO practices
- Generating various kinds of backlinks for the content
- Dealing with multiple search engine optimization tools
- Extracting and assessing vital data from different sources in reports and charts
Education: The basic requirement of an SEO analyst from most employers is a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Marketing, Information Technology, Statistics, or a similar field. Most employers may also prefer a candidate with an advanced degree. SEO analysts can also take up professional courses in search engine optimization to qualify and such courses are web analytics and programming languages.
Training & Experience: SEO Analysts must enroll in job training for them to build an experience that will attract potential employers to them. They can enroll for either voluntary or paid internships during their undergraduate days. They may get to learn about the company’s website and SEO strategies while working under a professional in the field. The training duration can be for a few weeks or months although this solely depends on the company’s need.
Certifications & licenses: Acquiring certifications is not compulsory for SEO analysts but it can be used to increase employment or job prospects. Certification can go a long way to prove that you are a professional and it will also help you to possess progressive career growth. You can be certified in the Associate Certified Analytics Professional (aCAP).
Skills: You should possess the following skills: search engine optimization, technical skills, data analysis, communication, and research, expertise in Google site mapping, problem-solving skills, and content writing skills.
An SEO Analyst should possess the following skills and competencies
- Expertise in basic HTML and CSS
- Knowledge of search engine algorithms
- Knowledge of SEO tools
- Content writing skills
- Data analysis
- Expertise in Google site mapping
- Technical Skills
- Research skills
- Communication Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical Skills
- Expertise in basic HTML and CSS: SEO Analysts must be able to comprehend the basics of HTML and CMS. The functional knowledge of HTML and coding aids them to formulate good content.
- Knowledge of Search Engine Algorithms: SEO analysts must possess this skill to keep abreast with Google algorithms updates. This enables them to measure and track all their SEO activities.
- Knowledge of SEO tools: SEO analysts must know a CMS platform like WordPress works so that they can execute essential codes on the website.
- Content Writing Skills: One key aspect of SEO that cannot be ignored is the content writing aspect and SEO professionals must know how to draft good content following the best SEO practices. Content writing is core because it is good content that generates food traffic to a client’s
- Expertise in Google site mapping: SEO analyst often possesses knowledge of site mapping and hierarchy because it empowers them to post index posts or pages of a website on a search engine.
- Data Analysis: Data analysis has to do with the interpretation of large amounts of information and then proceeding to conclude on it. SEO analysts utilize data to ascertain how search engines rank websites and also how to enhance a website’s ranking. They also utilize data analysis to track the success of their SEO technics and also to map out the next strategy they would employ.
- Technical Skills: SEO Analysts utilize technical skills to research, formulate, interpret and execute strategies and also track and analyze results. They employ technical skills to interpret and research data to comprehend how search engines work and how to also optimize a website. They also utilize technical skills to formulate and execute technical SEO strategies and also track and analyze results to ascertain if the strategy they employ is working.
- Research: Search engine optimization is constantly evolving and so it is paramount for SEO analyst researchers need to be current with the latest trends in SEO. This means that they need to be able to research SEO strategies and techniques to comprehend how they work.
- Communication: Communication is also a vital skill that SEO analysts need to possess. This is crucial because they need to communicate with their customers, members of the company’s marketing team, and other SEO professionals. They also need to communicate with their client about the outcome of their work.
How to Become an SEO Analyst
- Acquire a Bachelor’s Degree
The first step to becoming an SEO Analyst is to acquire a bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Information Technology, Computer science, Marketing, or any similar field. A bachelor’s degree may take up to four years to complete; you can maximize the opportunity to enroll in an internship while schooling. Below are some courses you can pursue to become ;
- Diploma in Digital and Internet marketing
- Diploma in SEO and Digital Marketing
- PG Diploma in Digital Marketing
- SEO and Digital Marketing Fundamentals
- Earn Relevant Certificates
There is no specific university-required degree to become an SEO Analyst and so acquiring certifications is a plus to your career. Candidates who want to become SEO analysts must seek admission into diverse certificate courses that can help them to be better qualified. You can also enroll for a diploma in search engine optimization or digital marketing. Here are some examples of certificate courses in SEO:
- Search engine optimization fundamentals
- SEO training course
- Associate Certified Analytics Professional
- Get Experience
After you have completed your bachelor’s degree, you can enroll for an internship to put your skills into practice and boost your career. Enrolling for an internship can give you the professional experience you require to work in a company. Some companies also offer training for a stipulated time to newly recruited SEO analysts and they also offer training courses to enable you to complete the certification requirement.
Get more experience by knowing different search engines and also how they work. You should also get to learn how search engines and audiences interact to have the requisite knowledge of different kinds of content. You should also learn how to utilize popular industry tools and analytics programs.
Start enrolling for freelancing when you have acquired enough knowledge. Do not stick to one client but work with different clients to increase your confidence in the field. Improve your skills based on the feedback reviews you receive from your client. You should also consider working with a professional in the field to broaden your skills and knowledge.
- Build a Portfolio
Create a good portfolio to demonstrate the skills you have acquired as an SEO expert. Your portfolio can be written accounts, screenshots, videos, links, or any other information that best showcases the work you have accomplished in the past. You can post your portfolio on social media or build a website for your portfolio to attract clients and test SEO best practices.
- Create a Website
You can put your skills into use by creating a personal website to test the techniques you learn through research. Possess a mastery of the popular content management systems (CMS) that are utilized to create websites and also comprehend how their tools and backend development integrate with search engines. You should practice HTML and tagging on your website to test different techniques. It can also enable you to discover how changes that affect search engine results pages can (SERPs) can be beneficial.
- Keep Abreast with the Emerging Trends In SEO
Stay –up-to-date with new developments in SEO to remain relevant and to maintain a competitive advantage in a work environment. Focus on digital marketing, user experience, and content writing to continue to have a progressive career as an SEO Analyst.
Where to Work as an SEO Analyst
An SEO Analyst can work in governmental agencies, companies, academic institutions, the banking sector, private practice, and also remotely. They spend the bulk of their time working on a computer in an office setting. They can work with a team of professionals or independently. Their job may demand them to travel to meet other clients to attend conferences.
SEO Analyst Salary Scale
The salary of an SEO Analyst varies across different countries and locations. Below are a few examples:
- In the United States, The average SEO Analyst salary in the USA is $58,500 per year or $30 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $45,177 per year while most professional workers make up to $82,500 per year. The average SEO Analyst salary in California is $65,000 per year or $33.33 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $51,675 per year while most experienced workers make up to $95,000 per year. The average SEO Analyst salary in Texas is $62,500 per year or $32.05 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $50,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to $78,500 per year.
- In the United Kingdom, The average SEO Analyst salary in the United Kingdom is £32,500 per year or £16.67 per hour. Entry-level positions start their career at £26,461 per year while most professional workers make up to £45,000 per year.
- In Germany, The average SEO Analyst’s gross salary in Germany is 60.356 € or an equivalent hourly rate of 29 €. The salary comes with other bonuses, allowances, and compensation.
- In Canada, The average SEO Analyst salary in Canada is $56,250 per year or $28.85 per hour. Entry-level positions start their career at $44,850 per year, while most professional workers make up to $75,000 per year.
- In the United Arab Emirates, The average pay for a Search Engine Optimization Analyst is AED 248,146 a year and AED 119 an hour. The average salary range for a Search Engine Optimization Analyst is between AED 173,950 and AED 301,498.