Email Marketing Specialist Job Description, Skills, and Salary
Are you searching for an Email marketing specialist job description? Get to know about the duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and skills requirements of an Email marketing specialist. Feel free to use our Email marketing specialist job description template to produce your own Email marketing specialist job description. We also provide you with information about the salary you can earn as an Email marketing specialist.
Who is an Email Marketing Specialist?
An Email Marketing Specialist is an individual who manages email marketing as part of a bigger digital marketing strategy. The responsibility they perform is creating and optimizing emails for conversation and sales, building email lists, and keeping the lead teams warm through email marketing. These professionals work with email automation software to send out newsletters, email blasts, and many more with the sole purpose of increasing brand awareness and building a brand’s place in the competitive market.
Email marketing is an ROI-boosting marketing initiative. Email specialists are highly valuable in society because it is a career that is globally demanded. Email marketing specialists work hard and also campaign to bring foot traffic to the business. They create a niche for their brand in the competitive market and also ensure that people patronize their brand. The result of their campaign may be short-term or long-term. This shows the relevance of mail in this modern communication dispensation. In a flourishing industry, brands need to leverage to secure leads that will boost their business growth.
This email professional develops a culture of building or nurturing mutual understanding and positive energy in an organization. They achieve this through several ideas such as lead nurturing, newsletters, and many more. These email marketers build relationships that everyone can benefit from.
The primary focus of most companies is to build relationships to ensure that they retain their customers with something as simple as email via marketing. An email marketing specialist should be able to carry out his duties successfully. One of the core skills they need is sales promotion: a good email marketing specialist will bring profit to the organization.
Types of Email Marketing
There are different types of email marketing and they are:
- Welcome emails: Welcome emails usher a client into the organization and also introduce the clients to the newsletter. The welcome email also appreciates new clients for signing up.
- Newsletter Email: A newsletter email is an email that goes out regularly and is usually scheduled and it contains the following: promotions, small stories, and community engagement pieces
- Announcement: an announcement email as the name implies passes out paramount information to customers such as updating of the website or a change of staff.
- Re-engagement: Re-engagement emails are emails sent out to a member of a mailing list who has not been responding to previous emails sent by the company. This is usually done to capture back their interest and loyalty to the company.
- Survey: A survey email is a questionnaire sent out to customers to ask them some specific or important questions about the company to appraise the company’s performance.
- Milestone; Milestone emails celebrate important milestones such as accomplished sales goals, anniversaries, or a large number of people subscribing to the email lists of a company.
- Promotional emails: Promotional emails create awareness of a particular promotion, such as large sales or a partnership with another company.
Over time, email marketers need to evaluate the effectiveness of the various campaigns they carry out that is if it is successful or not. The email marketing position demands knowledge of basic email marketing metrics: the metrics they carry out are:
- The various rates: They evaluate the success of their campaigns through opens, clicks, and conversion rates as well as several unsubscribes bes
- Deliverability metrics: Another way of assessment is the delivery metrics that how many emails can be found in the primary inbox, how many emails were sent to the user’s email address, and as well as IP warming and sunsetting.
- Sales Numbers: ROI and the revenue generated per mail
- Engagement: How to identify and segment users based on their engagement (and when to remove inactive subscribers from the email list.
Email marketers need to also know the best practices in email marketing, along with key legislation around digital marketing and communication permissions, such as data collection laws like the GDPR and anti-spasm.
Email Marketing Specialist Job Description
What is an Email marketing specialist job description? an Email marketing specialist job description is simply a list of duties and responsibilities of an Email marketing specialist in an organization. Below are the Email marketing specialist job description examples you can use to develop your resume or write an Email marketing specialist job description for your employee. Employers can also use it to sieve out job seekers when choosing candidates for interviews.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of an Email marketing specialist:
- Creating and monitoring a wide variety of email marketing campaigns
- Optimizing campaigns in terms of call-to-action buttons, what content to include in the email,and also collaborating with other marketing professionals to get the job done
- Experimenting and tweaking email content as needed
- Managing email lists
- Setting up different workflows
- Segmenting email lists to optimize campaigns
- Optimizing email sign-ups and opt-ins
- Supporting digital marketing efforts
- Conducting email research to understand prevalent customer behavior
- Analyze the previous campaigns to discover the areas of strength and weaknesses which could inform subsequent outputs
- Developing a well-written copy that is free from errors
- Maintaining a database of customers who have opted to receive correspondence
- Guaranteeing the design and layouts of emails are optimized, mobile, and user friendly
- Proofreading key messages in and out of email templates
- Sending graphics requests to designers
- Compiling email lists
- Eliminating email lists
- Securing email databases for future campaigns
- Follow up on emails
- Placing product orders
- Creating digital ads
- Tracking and analyzing campaign results
- Aiding additional digital marketing efforts
- Gathering insights into the audience
- Conceptualizing marketing campaigns that speak directly to the main point of existing and potential clientele
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing management, Communication, Advertising, or a similar role
- Proven experience in n creating impactful and unique marketing campaigns
- Past database management experience, preferably in a similar role
- Familiarity with pertinent automation and performance evaluation software
- Excellent project management skills specific to marketing
- Outstanding copyediting and copywriting skills
- Ability to harness collaboration to produce a well-crafted content
- Drive, ingenuity, and gumption
- Willingness to work extended hours as the need arises
- Knowledge of digital marketing and IT
- Ability to multi-task
Job recruiters demand both soft and technical skills when hiring email marketing specialists but many focus on the technical skills. The following are skills and expertise email marketing specialists need to have and they are:
- Writing: everyone can write but not everyone can write creatively. Email marketing specialists must know how to write creatively. They need to develop their ability to write particularly for business; they should be able to draft contents that will convince people. You will need to improve your writing skills by enrolling in copywriting and content writing training to get the requisite skills. Ensure you master the art of writing for your writing to be free from errors. The email marketing specialist passes out information on behalf of the company; the information must be grammatically correct.
- Design: Email marketing specialists are tasked with the responsibility of designing and putting layouts, pictures as well as text before sending them to clients. They must have an in-depth understanding of design principles to make their image content attractive. They can use mobile apps such as canva to achieve this or they can also acquire certification in graphic design. Designs are very important in sending emails because they serve as the first point of attraction for clients.
- Creative thinking: email specialists must be highly creative to deliver a company’s announcement or promotional materials interestingly. Employers are on the look for job candidates that can brainstorm and come up with a creative email text that will interpret the subject matter. Work very hard on your creative thinking to possess exceptional skills.
- Proofreading: As an email marketing specialist being a good writer is not enough you must know how to proofread your articles to meet the acceptable standard. You should know how to ensure that your sentences are grammatically accurate and how to use an appropriate tone for an email text.
- Time management: Email marketing specialists often create email campaign items in a short duration. They must know how to maximize the short time they have for them to carry out their responsibility effectively. They should try to find out the deadline for any task given to them and also ensure that they meet up with it.
In addition, they should also discover the management style that works for them and adapt to it.
- Analytics: Analytics is the utilization of data to make marketing decisions. As a good email marketing, you need to use analytics to decide what content you will produce when to deliver your mails and which keyword to use. You should also be able to comprehend how common analytics programs work and how they can be beneficial to your email marketing campaigns.
In addition, they should also have reporting skills and also be aware if they are responsible for monitoring campaigns they create and send out.
How to Become an Email Marketing Specialist
- Earn a bachelor’s degree
An individual considering to be an email marketing specialist must, first of all, acquire a degree in Communication, Advertising, Marketing Management, or a similar role. Employers may also consider someone with a background in computers because the job requires knowledge of software programs and automation processes. The bachelor’s degree usually takes four years to complete and you will be exposed to aspects such as writing creatively and also how to think critically.
- Enroll in an Internship to Get the Relevant Experience
An email marketing internship is very important because it will teach you digital marketing and media practices. Most email marketing specialists work on a contract basis, hence they may not need to enroll in an internship. The internship is however very important for you to hone valuable skills that will impress your potential employer. You can consider acquiring internships as a social media manager, public relations officer, or advertising. All these job responsibilities will expose you and build you up for the role of an email marketer.
- Acquire Certification
Although certification is not a requirement it will boost your chances of getting the job. A certification in email marketing or digital marketing will make you stand out among other job candidates. You can acquire this certification online; there are a lot of online courses such as email marketing, content marketing, affiliate marketing, and marketing analytics that you can enroll in. You can also relevant certificates in similar fields such as design, coding, or copywriting to build your career as an email marketing specialist.
Most employers prefer someone that has published a text previously. You can acquire this experience by working as a freelancer or publishing your content independently will make potential employers believe that you are competent for the job. You can also acquire experience by being a blogger or creating a newsletter. These published works can serve as your point of reference.
- Build a Portfolio
A portfolio is a collection of your previous work that you can show to your prospective employer. Having a past collection of work shows your potential employer that you have the requisite experience and this can convince them to hire you. Gather all your publications in the past and compile them together to create a good portfolio. You can post your portfolio on your social media page to attract job recruiters.
- Draft Your Resume
An email marketing specialist’s resume must be highly exceptional because your potential employer will have a lot of expectations from you. Highlight your contact details, essential skills, qualification, and other experience you possess. You can also include the link to your published. After you have drafted your resume; apply for open positions or vacancies; you will mostly get email marketing vacancies on social media.
Where Can an Email Marketing Specialist Work?
Email marketing specialists can work in almost all sectors of the economy such as:
- Academic Institutions
- Government Establishments
- Remote Setting
- Financial Institutions
Email Marketing Specialist Salary
- In the United States, the average annual salary of an email marketing specialist is $60,000 per year and $30.77 per hour. Entry-level can earn up to $50,000 per year.
- In Nigeria, an email marketing specialist earns up to 280,000 NGN per month. The salary varies based on the experience of the email marketing specialist.